DWC System and Baby Transplant


DWC System:
I hope everyone's doing well. Today I'm going to introduce you my system for growing plants indoors. The method I use is called DWC or Deep Water Culture. It consists of a large reservoir that holds a nutrient rich water and is agitated with air bubbles. The bubbles itself is also part of the nutrient recipe, supplying oxygen to the plant roots. The bubbles keep the water circulated while the roots dangle from the top of the reservoir taking in the circulating water.

I find DWC a welcoming system for any novice hydroponic gardener. The system is easy to supply and assemble. Many reservoir containers are recycled five gallon buckets. If you're near a local hydroponic supply store, the rest of the supplies can be acquired with a budget less than $50. Before you buy all your items at a hydroponic store, I recommend you attempt to seek elsewhere for supplies first. Hydroponic stores can be overpriced for many items. When I first started DWC the shop told me to buy their "special" food grade certified bucket. I later found out the same bucket sold at the Home Depot for half the price. I am all for local business but I don't like being ripped off when I'm buying supplies.

These are the tools I use for my chemistry/plant feeding.
1 pH meter (~$20)
1 food/gram scale ($20)
1 oral syringe (free at pharmacies)
1 measuring shot glass ($7)
1 wooden stirring spoon (for stirring nutes and pH solution)
1 metal spoon (for measuring out nutes)

Below is a schematic of how the DWC system works:

Bucket reservoir:
Starting at the bottom, your DWC system begins with a clean five gallon bucket. I prefer to use a dark colored bucket to prevent any algae growth BUT I have used orange buckets and they worked perfectly fine with my system.

I also use regular tap water. The whole idea of having distilled or purified water is all more a myth. Cannabis grows in a variety of water. Some may ask about chlorine gas. There simply isn't enough gas to damage any roots. The gas naturally evaporates from the tap once you turn on the faucet anyway.

Airstone:
Next is the airstone. Keep in mind the air pump pushes regular air out of a valve. DO NOT PUT THE AIR PUMP IN THE WATER. The pump will have a small valve measured in 1/4 inch in size. You'll use a vinyl tube that will connect from the pump to an airstone. THE AIRSTONE GOES IN THE WATER. The airstone sizes vary. I like to have large airstones (3 inches or larger) for my system. The more air, the more circulation, the faster the growth. I always drill a 5/8 inch hole or cut a small hole at the top of the bucket to feed in the airstone's tubing. I think it goes without saying, do not drill a hole at the bottom of your bucket to fit in your airstone tubing. 

Nutrients:
Before you put the airstone in the bucket, set it aside and fill the reservoir with water and add nutrients accordingly. Make sure you measure the gallons amount to help you with your recommended nutrients. These are the notes and nutes I use for my personal garden:



I've used Masterblend soluble (water-dissolving) nutrients for the past few years. This whole kit cost about twenty dollars a few years ago and it still works great. I use a folded paper triangle and a gram scale to measure out the powders. If you're worried about using powder nutrients, you can use liquid based nutrients (use a measuring shot glass). I recommend Fox Farms Tomato Grow Big liquid fertilizer for beginners. The written note for my Masterblend is always the same:
2 grams of fertilizer 4-18-38 per 1 gallon.
2 grams of fertilizer 15.5-0-0 per 1 gallon.
1 gram of fertilizer MgSO4 per 1 gallon.

Ideally use about 6 grams of 4-18-38 and 15.5-0-0 per 5 gallon bucket (taking into consideration the net pot will sink almost two gallons deep into the reservoir) and 3 grams of MgSO4.

pH measuring water:
When the nutrients are added, check the pH level of the water. Water pH allows plant roots to absorb adequate nutrients. pH or the amount of Hydrogen in water helps managed this absorption. Plants ideally need to be at 6.0pH. I use a child's oral syringe (ask for a free one at any pharmacy) and put in about 3mL of pH Down solution per gallon. Add 3mL and a time, stir vigorously for a few seconds and then measure the pH so you don't go under 6.0. Stay as close as 6 as you can but no lower than 5.5. IF you go below, the water has become too acidic. Dump the water, clean the reservoir and start over. Believe me, giving your plants too many or too little nutrients can drastically kill your crops. Too little nutes you'll notice light green leaves and purple stems with poor growth. Too many nutes and your leaves will curl, resulting in nutrient burn, destroying your foliage.


You'll may have to add more nutes in several weeks since plants take in a large amount the first few weeks in their vegetation stage. If you're uncomfortable, when you see changes in coloration, replace the entire reservoir, adding a little more nutes than the previous reservoir's measurements. You won't need a lot, a gram extra can alter your entire garden, be careful adding nutes. Keep in mind, sprinkling or spraying on nutrients DOES NOT HELP THE PLANT. Every time you do that, you alter the pH and water chemistry. If you must add or remove anything, just change out the reservoir entirely and then leave it alone! Adding nutrients is a beautifully balanced system of chemicals. Don't kill your garden by adding or removing nutrients blindly.

Transplanting:
Now that your water has adequate nutrients, it's time to add the plant. Your plant should have a decent amount of roots from it's seedling bed. If you are taking a plant from garden soil, dip the plant roots in lukewarm water and gently remove as much soil attached to the roots. If you have some soil do not worry. The excess soil won't affect the reservoir's water and your plants will grow regardless.

If your plant is already growing in a smaller net pot, just leave it in the net pot and bury it in the new net pot when you're adding pellets.
Clay pellets and plant setting:
Set your plant into the basket with the roots dangling out on the bottom. If you cannot push the roots through the net mesh, don't worry about it too much. Your plant will vigorously grow new roots quickly, extending their way into the reservoir. Once you like your plant's location, fill the remaining net pot with clay pellets. These lightweight pellets are used for keeping plants upright and for protecting the net pot from light leaks, but carry no nutritional value. When you buy pellets always give them a nice wash to remove excess clay dust. I use an old spaghetti colander to rinse my pellets. Fill up your net pot until you cannot see the net mesh below. 


Light:
Using a Mars Hydro TS600 LED plant light, I'm able to grow two adult plants in a small area of about 8 square feet. I set my plant lights about 18 inches above the plant's leaves. When the plants are about 12 inches from the light, I'll begin pinning the plant branches onto a screen system (I'll post later). For now, just let them grow. Trim off any dead leaves or foliage that cannot reach the light. Your plant will like it. And now your really gardening!

Hopefully your garden is doing wonderful. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd love to help you with your garden. Take care!

Pinky







Comments

Popular Posts