Microscope Cannabis Clone Images

USB Microscope:
For the past few weeks I've been checking the clones daily for any root growth. Today I was blessed with spotting the first signs of root growth in the cloner. I know there's a lot of soil gardeners out there who consider soil the best and only way to grow cannabis. But I must admit, having a hydroponic cloner literally removes any guessing from the moment your plant changes from a cutting to a clone. With the help of my trust cheap USB LED microscope (you can buy an affiliated one here) I was able to get some fantastic shots of the emerging root system.

I have learned through trial and error that the best way to root a clone is through moisture and darkness. I believe that the moisture and the lack of light tricks the plant into an hormonal change. That change builds a new root system, converting the plant from a chopped stem into a full-fledged plant.

After a long nine days the plants are finally emerging their roots. Many gardeners will tell you plants can grow roots as little as 7 days, but I've noticed mine start about the 10th day most of the time. 

Cuttings in the cloner

Scale, software and hardware:
Below is how I setup my imaging "station". I used a $50 bill for scale. You'll notice I've directed the microscope at the right border of the bill.

The border of the bill possessed a repeating "FIFTY" from top to bottom as a counterfeit deterrence. Using a millimeter ruler I figured out the width of the border was exactly 4mm.

For those who are wondering how I got this image, I used VLC media player. Find it here for free. When you open VLC, click Media, click Open Capture Device..., select your Video device name and select None for your Audio device name. Click Play to turn on the capture camera. I captured the images using the PrtSc (print screen) function on my keyboard and pasted them on MS Paint, saving them as PNG files.

VLC Media Player

First Clone:
I took the first clone and set it in front of the microscope and used a linen clip to keep it steady. I was able to capture the roots breaking through the stem and the large bumps of newly emerging roots.

Top view
Side view
Second Clone:
Upon further inspection I noticed another clone with root "bumps" emerging from the stem and I was able to capture it as well. Below is the clone with a writing pen stabilizing it in front of the microscope.

Top view

Side view
The roots that will emerge in the cloner will assume they're under the ground due to lack of light (photosynthesis) and the spritz of water that consumes the stem. The roots will be able to survive in the cloner for several weeks, establishing a large cluster of adventitious roots. The roots will absorb both water, oxygen and trace nutrients inside the cloner. Leave them alone until you're ready to transplant them to a DWC bucket. 

Law Reminder:
Remember, new state law states you can only possess 6 plants per adult above the age of 21 or 12 per household if both adults living at the residence are 21 years or older. Below is law section 36-2852-2a-c:

Sex Pistils:
The last image I turned the clone around and showed the pistils of the female plant on the node. Remember, the node is the part of the plant that makes new leaves, branches and flowers. These nodes also show us the plant sex. All cannabis that produce flowers are female, while cannabis that produce pollen are male. Males will have a large green orb or "sack" that emerges from the node. Females on the other have small hair-like structures (usually in pairs) that will emerge from the node. If you're wondering what those tiny white "hairs" that engulf the entire stem, those are trichomes. When the plant begins to flower, the trichomes will fill and ooze with cannabinoid oils, making them sticky to the touch. Those oils will possess the psychoactive compounds that - when  ignited - alter your state of mind and mood. We call this getting high...


Pistils emerging from the node


I hope you guys enjoyed the images. I think it's a beautiful and fascinating way to see the world from a different perspective. More of this image style will continue as the plant begins to flower. I'm hoping to get an image of the oozing trichomes before harvest. What a wonderful microscope cosmos we live in!

Pinky

Comments

Popular Posts